Remote work has its advantages. There are no office distractions. You can work in comfortable clothes. Your office commute is just a few steps away from your bedroom.
If the novelty of working from home has worn off, you may not be as engaged as you used to be. It’s normal to miss your daily interactions with colleagues in a professional setting.
Schedule Your Tasks
A daily routine is an essential part of a successful remote work strategy. Not only does it boost your efficiency, but a schedule provides a sense of direction. You’ll know exactly what you will be doing each day.
Scheduling your tasks requires a few hours of planning. A daily schedule can prevent you from wasting time during the week. What’s more, it can reduce stress and help you achieve your professional goals.
Need help managing your tasks? Explore the following apps.
Stay Active During the Day
Staring at a computer screen for several hours at a time can drain your energy. Throughout the day, you may need something to keep you alert.
It may be tempting to grab a sugary drink or a cup of coffee. Resist the urge to do so. Instead, take a few 15-minute exercise breaks throughout the day. Here are some things you can do to stay active.
- Work from a standing desk.
- Walk around while you’re taking calls.
- Take stretch breaks throughout the day.
- Use hand weights at your desk.
- Jump on a rebounder.
Connect With Colleagues
Working from home can be isolating and lonely. At times, you may find yourself longing for the camaraderie of an office environment. It’s perfectly normal to feel that way.
The key to overcoming this sense of isolation is finding ways to connect with colleagues. Here’s what you can do. Connect with co-workers through video chats. Sometimes, it can be good to see a smiling face.
Other ways to stay connected include:
- Schedule a virtual lunch with a friend.
- Allow your pets and children to visit your virtual office at designated times.
- Mentor another employee by video.
- Stay connected with clients.
- Fully engage in Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other video calls.
- Join an online professional network.
Plan Virtual Activities With Your Team
Looking for ways to bring your team together? Online team-building activities offer a powerful way to stay connected while having fun. Here are some activities that provide plenty of opportunities for engagement.
- Tiny Campfire (Virtual Campfire Meetings)
- Remote Work Bingo
- Virtual Dance Parties
- Virtual Show and Tell
- Virtual Trivia
- Virtual Book Clubs
- Remote Team Dinners
- Virtual Scavenger Hunts
The reality is you will be working from home until it’s safe to return to the office. Why not make it as enjoyable as possible? These tips are sure to keep you and your team members engaged and productive.
Want more remote work productivity tips? Explore these resources.
- Working from Home: Making the New Normal Work for You by Karen Mangia
- Office Optional: How to Build a Connected Culture With Virtual Teams by Larry English
- The Long-Distance Leader by Kevin Eikenberry and Wayne Turmel
© Copyright of Corporate Counsel Women of Color®. All Rights Reserved. To License the Use of this Article, contact firstname.lastname@example.org